Believe me, life was so much fun in the 80s and early 90s. I am still wondering where my childhood went, how everything I loved just faded away. I still miss those days. The change crept up on us so surreptitiously and it’s as if we woke up to a new era. An era of fast food, kids owning and playing games on Ipad, luxury phones, skyping, facebook, etc. If you were born in those days, you would remember some of the things i’ll put here
1) You must have written letters to your friends starting with ‘I hope you are fine just as I am here, if so doxology. How is everything over there?
2) You must have sang ”willy willy willy willy o…mummy in the kitchen cooking rice, daddy in the parlour watching film, children in the garden playing ball, so this is the end of the game,…change your style, another style…and stay still’’
You must have shaken your booty to.. ‘show me your best friend and show us your ikebe…while tightening your dress close to your butt and shaking your Bum
You should remember tinko tinko…’clapping your hands against your friends hands till it hurts..
3) You must remember NITEL and NEPA, though the latter still exists though. You could spend hours on the phone with your friends but just make sure nobody has picked the other phone that is connected to it.
4) You must remember that NTA was the bomb then, the hit station where you watched ‘tales by the moonlight on sunday by 6pm’.
5) You must remember all those action films that there’s boss and actor, and the actor never dies. The actor’s bullet never finishes and he gets to kill 500 people and no bullet touches him.
6) You must remember the hit songs of those days like Mike Okri’s “hear your mama, hear your papa, life go better for you”, Essien’s Omo mi seun rere ti e dara o”, Blacky’s “can i have a dance, rosy ahnn…etc..”
7) Do you remember writing your name on a thin sheet of paper and inserting it inside your bic or eleganza biro?
8) You must remember stripping yourself and dancing naked under the rain or singing ‘rain rain go away, come again another day, little children want to play’.
9) You must remember drinking crush with Okin biscuits, and baba dudu‘ sweets or ‘goody-goody‘ during school break time. When ‘the magic school bus‘ was the best animation ever created.
10) You must remember the fashionable hairstyles of happening babes or Nigerian belles to be ipako elede, patewo, suku etc. When lux, imperial leather and joy soap was their favourite bathing soap.
The list is inexhaustible. You could add yours in the comment box