Timaya is among the popular musicians in Nigeria who has been in the music scene for quite some time. In a career that spans over one decade, he has managed to make his music thrive in an industry known to be highly competitive. Besides being a popular musician, the following are 10 things you should know about this great Nigerian artist: Timaya.
1. Birth and Upbringing The birth or official name of Timaya is Enetemi Alfred Odom. He was born in Port Harcourt, River State in Nigeria on the 29th of November 1977. He is the ‘last-born’ of a large family that comprises fifteen children. Besides using his stage name Timaya, he is also referred to as Egberipapa 1 or Dem mama soldier.
2. Singer, Songwriter, and Producer Besides being a creative music artist, he is also an award winning songwriter and music producer. He has been writing his own songs as well as for other artists. Timaya also does music productions. Some of the popular artists that have gained from his writing and production skills include Eulonzo Jordan as well as YouTube’s star Jarrett Holt
3. Different Musical Skills One reason that has made Timaya weather the stiff competition in the music industry in Nigeria is his ability to perform in different genres. He is quite adept in Raga, Hip-hop, dancehall, afro beat, as well as afro hiphop. This has seen him produce quite a number of albums and singles since 2007.
4. Humble Beginning The 36-year-old journey to stardom has not been easy at all. First, his performance in college was not the best. Secondly, at some point in life he was forced to sell plantains in the streets of Mgbuosimini to make ends meet. Fortunately, he was quite talented in music. During his high school days, he won quite a number of accolades during competitions held amongst schools
5. Journey to Stardom The early days of his musical journey saw him perform with underground or upcoming musicians. Most of the time he was a backup singer and at one time he was providing back-up vocals to renowned musician, Eedris Abdulkareem. Later on, he featured in videos of a rap group called UDX, which is based in Lagos. He also collaborated with other musicians such as Biodin, Kunle, Raphael, Temi (Divino), among others.
6. First Major Breakthrough His first major breakthrough came after releasing his hit song “Dem Mama”. This conscious song was about the destruction that was taking place in the oil rich Delta region. The track brought to light the brutality emanating from the soldiers and directed towards innocent civilians in a bid to hunt down militants. This track led to him being nicknamed Egberi Papa 1 (the town crier of the people) of Bayelsa.