Let’s face it: there isn’t a completely free eCommerce platform out there.
Even though the eCommerce platform is free, you will still need to purchase few other things such as a domain name, hosting services, payment processing costs, and other add-ons.
We’ve put up a detailed breakdown of the real cost of building eCommerce websites.
In the end, your objective should be to locate an eCommerce platform that enables you to get started for little or no money but simultaneously restricting how you manage and expand your company.
You’d also like the platform to be simple to use, feature-rich, and capable of accepting payments via your preferred method of payment.
With these considerations in mind, let’s look at the 5 free platforms to host your eCommerce website and make sales and growing your business.
WooCommerce is the world’s most popular eCommerce platform. It’s completely free software that you can download and run on any web hosting provider.
Because WooCommerce does not supply hosting, you will need to purchase web hosting and a domain name to ensure that your website is accessible to users all over the world.
We recommend using either Bluehost or SiteGround. They are both among the world’s top hosting companies and are WooCommerce’s official recommendations.
WPBeginner customers may also get a free domain name and SSL certificate from Bluehost, as well as a 60% discount on hosting. Essentially, you can begin for $2.75 each month. The following are some of the features:
- Selling anything – physical or digital goods, including subscriptions
- Easy installation and use
- Adding your products is straightforward
- There are several free WooCommerce themes available to assist you in creating the store of your dreams.
- Flexible and secure payments
- Multiple currencies to sell globally
- Integrates with multiple shipping options
Ecwid offers a highly useful free plan. You may create a fully functional store with up to 10 goods in two categories after you join up. This is what you’ll get:
- Online store with product selections that is mobile responsive and customized.
- Mobile-friendly shopping cart
- Bandwidth is limitless.
- It’s simple to integrate into WordPress or any other website.
- Sell on many websites at the same time.
- Included-in support for SSL certification, security, server setup, and hosting
- 40+ payment options in different currencies is built into the Facebook Pixel.
- Some carriers’ real-time shipping prices
- Google Analytics connection is built-in.
#3. Square Online
Square is unbeatable when it comes to free internet stores. It’s simple to keep track of inventory and create a professional website. Because square templates aren’t very adjustable, you can go online quickly with a design that will appear excellent. In addition, Square’s free plan has a surprising number of features. If you want to expand your business as much as possible before investing in a website, we propose Square.
Square is a wonderful choice if you already have a brick-and-mortar business and merely want to test the online waters – especially if you’re already using Square’s POS system to handle payments. It may be integrated with your website to keep online and in-person orders in sync.
Even if you don’t use Square’s goods, their free plan includes some useful sales features:
- Sell an infinite number of items (unusual for a free plan!)
- Calculator for taxes on the fly (US only)
- Add items with multiple variants quickly and easily.
- Inventory management that is simple
- Set shipping to be free or flat rate, or modify based on weight, quantity, or purchase cost.
Gumroad is a fantastic place to sell digital, physical, and creative items, with a focus on digital products and creative content such as pictures, writing, podcasts, and designs.
It allows you to establish a free eCommerce website right away, but unlike the other free eCommerce platforms on our list, it charges a commission on anything you sell. Features include:
- Create and personalize your online store.
- You may sell as many items as you wish.
- Once a month, send out four updates.
- Create a single automated workflow.
#5. Big Cartel
Big Cartel is a hosted eCommerce platform created specifically for artists and creative professionals. It might be a wonderful alternative for you if you want to open a business offering handcrafted goods or anything similar. What you get are:
- There are no transaction costs on the free plan. However, you will have to pay Stripe or PayPal fees (these are the only options Big Cartel offers for payment processing).
- You may change the URL of your free store if you want to. It must be in the format name.bigcartel.com, but the name may be whatever you wish. You can’t alter your URL on many other sites because it’s dependent on your username or store name.
- Your free plan allows you to have up to 5 items, which is more than other hosted free plans.
- It’s simple to get your store up and running, and it’s even easier to add goods. Big Cartel will walk you through each step of the process.