What are the most effective exercises to get rid of pot belly? If you have a pot belly (as lots of men do) you are probably looking for a way to get the damn thing down.
First you have to realise there are no shortcuts to getting rid of pot belly. It will require work and some dedication but we are sure you will feel they were worth it when you attain that flat tummy.
Pot bellies can be caused by a variety of reasons. Some people have weak stomach muscles and can bloat easily even when they do not consume too much food. Sometimes it can be caused by lifestyle choices, drinking too much beer and very little or no exercise.
You should however note that reducing pot belly will not happen based only on exercises, you will have to also make lifestyle adjustments on what you eat and how much you eat to complement the exercises. Then you will see some very good results.
1. Weight Training
A study showed that healthy men who practiced 20 minutes of weight training daily had a lower increase in age-related abdominal fat in comparison with men who performed aerobic exercises for the same amount of time.
Start with lifting appropriate weights and increasing as your strength builds. Weight training is most effective when done 2–3 times a week per muscle group with 8–12 repetitions. It is always recommended to seek the guidance of an experienced trainer if you are a beginner.
2. Core Exercises
There are several core exercises that will help with reducing belly fat. Here are some basic, effective ones to start with.
The mountain climber exercise helps with toning up your abdominal muscles, as well as burning extra calories. Here’s how to do it;
- Face the floor in a push-up position with your palms flat on the floor, shoulder-length apart.
- Hold yourself with your arms outstretched and back flat.
- Bring one knee to your chest and then return it to its previous position. That’s one repetition.
- Repeat the steps on the other leg.
- Do 3 sets of 10–20 repetitions per leg.
Depending on your current level, you can perform this exercise 3–4 times a week.
Crunches are very easy to do, and you have plenty of variations to choose from. They are a great basic exercise for a beginner to build up the core muscles. Here are some directions on crunches you can do.
- Lay down with your back flat on the floor.
- Raise your legs off the floor and bend them to a 90° angle.
- Place your hands by your ears, but do not clasp them together behind your head.
- Bracing your abdominal muscles, lift your head and upper back from the floor and hold for 2–3 seconds.
- Repeat for the reps desired, starting with 3 sets of 10–12 repetitions.
You can do this exercise 3-4 times a week
The Bicycle crunch targets the rectus abdominis and obliques and is a good variation of the traditional crunch.
Here’s how to do the Bicycle crunch
- Similar to the basic crunch, you start in the crunch position but with the legs straight.
- Lift your head and upper back.
- Bring one knee up to the chest, and reach the opposite side elbow to the knee.
- Lower the knee and elbow back to the starting position and repeat on the opposite sides. Focus on slow movement, rather than trying to complete it as fast as possible.
- Repeat for 10–12 reps each side for 3 sets.
You can do this 3-4 times a week
3. Yoga Poses
There are yoga exercises that help with tightening the flesh and muscle in the stomach area. Asides helping eliminate excessive abdominal fat they also have other significant benefits: increased flexibility.
Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
The Chair pose helps strengthen not only your abdominal muscles but also your legs and arms. It is an isometric exercise, which means you hold the position for several seconds without moving.
Standing Forward Bend (Padahastasana)
The forward bend helps with stubborn belly fat. With the forward bend yoga pose there is complete compression of the abdominal area occurs, leading to fat burning in the tummy and waistline area.
What to do to Complement Your Exercise and Reduce Belly Fat Faster
- Eat more of vegetables, fruits and lean proteins
- Limit your consumption of processed foods
- Sleep enough
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day
- Watch the portion of food you eat
Recommended: Check out more life improvement articles such as How to Overcome Shyness and Embrace Talking to People